Benefits of the Metro Program for Faculty
At present, higher education is the only segment of our educational system in which teachers are never taught how to teach. To address this gap, Metro Academies established faculty learning communities (FLCs) to foster engaging, top-quality instruction on a large scale. FLCs have been proven to decrease faculty isolation, enhance teaching and development, and improve student outcomes. Both students and their instructors gain the advantages of teamwork to steadily build their capacities.
Faculty Learning Communities
The goals of faculty learning communities are as follows:
1) Offer space for structured professional development for faculty in all Metro Academies
2) Improve instructors’ ability to create socially relevant curriculum by developing lesson plans, writing assignments and classroom activities in community
3) Increase faculty collaboration across the disciplines
4) Encourage reflection about teaching pedagogy, general education competencies and ways to interconnect learning across disciplines and campuses
5) Influence teaching practice within faculty home departments through sharing of best practices.
Faculty learning communities provide professional development opportunities and teaching support for Metro faculty through:
- Critical pedagogy activities and discussions around how to make curriculum relevant for students
- Readings and conversations about education equity
- Curriculum integration and infusion work between instructors who teach paired classes
- Direct instruction around best practices in teaching pedagogy
- Community sharing around strategies that work in the classroom
- Discussions around student successes and concerns
- Community building and sharing among colleagues dedicated to excellent teaching
The Metro Academy of Health at SF State is our most mature program. Metro helps students build momentum because 100% of core classes satisfy graduation requirements for associate's and bachelor's degrees—regardless of whether classes are taken at a community college or university. Metro puts students on a clear, fast track to graduation and success.